Saturday, March 1, 2008

Boot Camp in my Kenneth Cole shoes sipping my Grande 1-Pump Sugar-Free Vanilla, Nonfat Latte (Extra Foam, Extra Hot)

Training a dog isn't as simple as some people think.  Not all dogs respond the first time just like not all children learn the same way. I have been raising a German Shepherd X based on information provided from various sources including an 8 week doggy training school.  This obviously has not worked out as well as I would hoped since we are still having some simple obedience troubles.  Her behavior problems are nothing out of control but enough to make me frustrated at her stubborn nature.
brad_dez_and_max_small.png

It finally came to a breaking point and I needed some sort of intervention.
It was more than coincidence
that Brad Pattison, from the Television series End of My Leash on the Slice Network was holding a training seminar in my city.  I signed up immediately on www.bradpattison.com!

It was not what I was expecting but it exceeded what I was looking for.  Real practical tools I could use in my own home with my dog.  There was some sample ill-behaved dogs that he worked with to show us practical tools to take home and apply.  I was so thankful!! 

There was quite a bit of controversy over how he presented and the statements he made but that is Brad - he likes to ruffle feathers, maybe that is why I like him.  He isn't conventional but expects more than just the standard.  Tough guys that likes puppies - He won me over!

At the end of Saturday's seminar we were offered the option to return on Sunday to Starbucks on Whyte ave for some urban agility and other tools for having a dog among city life.  That was great!  Paris, my dog, was able to get involved in some real action and she did very well.  Although it was hard on the owners, running in deep snow, slaloming the light standards and trees, climbing up picnic tables, benches and around posts all with our dogs attached to our waists.  Brad calls it "umbilical training", I call it stressful!  She would go one way and I would go the other.  Tangled mess but by the end of the 20 minutes she followed me a lot closer!!  I was shocked at the difference in this period of time.

We then switched areas at which point Brad barked the order for all the owners to get down (on the pavement) and do 10 push-ups, someone complained and he yelled out "20!" I laughed but he was serious.  So, here I am in my cute cotton spring pants, black Kenneth Cole dress shoes that are full of snow from the drifts we had to run through earlier, on all four with my dog attached to my waist doing push ups in front of Starbucks/Chapters in one of the trendiest spots in town!!!  I must really like my dog and believe in this training because that is ridiuclous. 

Immediately after I was on a mission to make changes. 

I have been pleasantly surprised at how consistency is more important when it comes to certain things as well as teaching respect and re-positioning myself as the "alpha-role" in the house has changed our relationship immensely...

Brad is my hero - I had some good laughs with that guy.  I seriously would love to spend a day with him, he was pretty intense but seemed to have a great sense of humor.  It was good times.

On Brad's web site there were some great questions I was looking at and I thought I would use them as my next set of posts. Just for fun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh i wish I had a camera- that would have been great!