Saturday, February 16, 2008

Trying to Recover... Just No Way.

I was telling some of my friends about a situation that occurred at work and they feel this is something that I need to share with all the others in my circle of friends...  I am still rather embarrassed by it but it is still pretty funny.  
So from the original email sent out to a few friends on Monday it has exploded into a silly story that I keep hearing - tell the story...  So instead of re-living it, I will just post it and refer future mockers to this site.  So without further explanation, I give you, my humiliation.

It was the start of a new work week, Monday, February 8, 2008.  I stopped in on the 3rd floor at the cafeteria at work to get my large Vanilla Hazelnut coffee.  The line up was short on this morning so I stirred my milk and sweetener and left the coffee area.  As I was rounding the corner with my cup-a-joe... I almost smashed into some guy who also was on his way for a morning kick start.  He was a short balding man in his mid/late 40's - sort of George Costanza resemblance...  So remove the potential of a romantic happy ending...  Although that would be a more interesting and fun story I would rather post.

Of course he becomes very apologetic for the near miss (thank goodness for lids!) and I search my vocabulary for something witty and light to say to minimize the awkwardness...  

The first words out of my mouth are... Hakuna matata....  since it is fresh from a conversation I had the night before with some friends. We were wondering why this phrase never made it into our everyday speech like the phrase "no worries" which according to the Disney movie the Lion King means the same thing.  

At this point he looks at me right in the eye and on the awkward scale this was off the charts...  

He says in reply "what?" with squinted eyes and a scrunched up nose. So I then have to repeat my humility and say Hakuna Matata....  

He says "what is that?"  straight faced - no smile....  In my uncomfortable state and an already red face - I break out in a little song "...it means no worries, for the rest of your days...." and I think my shoulders were even swaying to the beat in my head....  at this point I think he just wanted to beat my head with his fist!!!  

I just kept talking hoping I could salvage something from this moment - I explained "it's from Lion King - you know..." hoping he had kids that maybe would have enlightened him into this cultural influence that we call Disney...  He says "oh, I don't know that one."   

LOSER!  

I am feeling like the biggest idiot and not sure where to go from this point, so I just say - "well you'll have to rent it" and I reach to push the button for the elevator to escape this brutal scene.  

He says "You mean it's a movie?" - Where is this guy from???  How does he not know The Lion King??? I confirmed it is a movie just as the elevator doors open - I jump on and again apologize for almost smashing into him. 

As the elevator doors start to close he says - "Hakmata tuta"  Totally butchers it.... but it kills me and I try to hold my laughter until the doors completely close.  I burst out laughing out loud in the empty elevator once it starts moving thinking I am in the clear.... 

The elevator stops on the 8th floor and walk to my desk laughing to myself about what just happened. I re-play the events and think to myself that it was out of a bloopers comedy or something it was so ridiculous!   

A few minutes later another girl I work with comes to my desk and tells me that she was at the elevator doors back on the 3rd floor when it closed.  She totally could hear me laughing all the way up to the eighth floor....  

Which means - that guy - totally heard me too! 

I think they are going to start random drug tests at my work!!!  I am sure he thought I was crazy, quoting random phrases that apparently make no sense and laughing alone in the elevator not to mention the singing and dancing. Why do I have these things happen to me?? 
Oh well, I guess it makes life entertaining!

No comments: