Sunday, March 2, 2008

Question 1 - Dog trainers

Questions from Brad Pattison about Dog trainers- Tell me about how they gave you success or let you down

My Answer.
I signed up for dog training class that came highly recommended and we were told for the 8 week sessions to bring various items to class including, 2 leashes, a short one and a retractable one, a pocket full of soft chew treats (like Roll-Over cut up but not cheese - his words) and to not too feed your dog prior to class. Over the 8 weeks we discussed many topics but during this particular class we were learning how to walk our dogs on a retractible leash. I had a 7 month old puppy who was full of beans on this particular evening. I went to switch the leash on her collar she wriggled out of my grip and thought it was party time. Among the other young and untrained dogs she was trying to start a revolution by riling up the troops, all the dogs started barking as my dog weaved in and out of the panic stricken owners trying to soothe their excited dogs. The trainer was trying to corner my dog but she is a lot fast than him and made her way around the room about 10 or 15 times with everyone trying to coral her into a spot where she could be caught. This made the trainer very upset and embarrassed. I asked him what I would do if that ever happened again and he couldn't tell me anything other than, don't take her off leash for at least 2 years. I paid for that??

No comments: