Tuesday, July 1, 2008

141 years - Just a baby.

Today is Canada Day which only became known as Canada Day in 1982 - It was called Dominion Day for many years because it was the day Canada celebrated the Anniversary of the formation of the Dominion of Canada on the 1st of July, 1868.
I love Canadian History but I forget so much from when I studied it. It is actually quite interesting to hear how we became such a blended and still peaceful nation.
When I have travelled internationally I have learned that we have such a short history compared to other nations.
When I was in Peru - they have this rich ancient history of the Incas living and thriving as a people group - it is amazing to walk through the ruins and imagine what lives they would have led.

And when I spend time in Northern Africa I could only imagine the long standing history in these tribal villages dating back to the times of the pharohs perhaps? It is not far from Egypt so who knows who walked the same dusty roads as we did?

And France has such a rich history of monarchy and scandal not to mention the architecture to the likes of nothing here in Canada - Our oldest building doesn't even come close to the structures that pepper the streets in Paris amidst a modern world.


So amazing - so wonderful!
But we are so young as a nation and as much as I like to think I live in an old character home built in the 1950's - I guess it is very modern compared to the homes and buildings I have visited from the 1700's and before!!
So cool.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I forgot you were in Peru. You should post some of those pictures - I don't know if I ever saw any of them.
Wanna go golfing in 2 weeks? Maybe the 18th or 19th?

Anonymous said...

So true! I always look in awe at the older mature neighbourhoods and wonder who lived in these old homes. Almost silly when you think of how old the stories are for other countries in Europe and such.