Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Through My Eyes

During my trip to Africa I was able to keep a travel journal and jotted down thoughts, experiences and even prayers for what I hoped to accomplish while I was there. This became quite lengthy as our pace was very fast and so much was happening in a short amount of time. Everything was new and there was a steady change in my surroundings as I was being bombarded with new emotions and images, I needed to process them some how. Now I sit flipping through the pages and pages of scribble wondering who will ever read these accounts, then I thought I should compile it on the computer. No sorry it won't show up on MySpace or any blogging site because some of it is quite personal but I think it might be worth sharing with my team mates at some point. I could share it with my other friends but it just doesn't mean as much to them like it does with someone who has experienced it. Some of the team have already asked to read parts of what I wrote and another guy on the team says he will be compiling his journal entries into a book for for the rest of us. I wonder how different or similar our accounts of the same events will be. I started typing tonight and I am on page 9 but I am only at the part where we landed on African soil in Libya. And the funny part is I am not editing much information out, even the stuff I wrote for my own sake; it is pretty authentic to what I was experiencing - pretty much - uncut - the raw emotions and generally uncensored. It makes me nervous to share but I think it has value to re-live those experiences though the eyes of another and remembering how that moment impacted each of us. If you are interested in reading the completed version - talk to me. I will ensure you can experience Project Niger through my eyes.

No comments: